As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
A traditional Italian pasta recipe
Today we invite you to discover traditional Italian cuisine with our recipe for Ziti alla Genovese.
This dish is more than just a simple pasta – it reflects Italian culture and a love of fresh, high-quality ingredients. The combination of ziti, a type of hollow, tubular pasta, and the rich, flavorful sauce of tender braised beef and onions is simply delicious.
The special thing about ziti alla genovese is not just the preparation, but also the way the flavors meld together. The slow braising of beef and onions in combination with the typical herbs such as bay leaf and parsley, as well as the slight acidity of the wine, gives this sauce its unmistakable and full flavor.
- First prepare the vegetables. To do this, peel the onions and cut into thin slices. Peel the celery and cut into small rings. Peel and finely chop the carrots too. Tie the parsley into a bundle with kitchen twine.900 g white onions, 75 g celery, 75 g carrots, 1 bunch parsley
- Remove any excess fat from the beef. Then cut into fist-sized pieces.400 g beef
- Heat a good dash of olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions, celery and carrots and sauté for a few minutes over a low heat.
- Then add the pieces of meat, season with a little salt and mix everything thoroughly. Add the bay leaf and parsley bundle and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.1 bay leaf
- Then leave to braise for 3 hours with the lid closed and on a low heat. Stir from time to time.
- Then remove the parsley and bay leaf. Turn the heat to medium, deglaze with the wine and stir. Now leave to cook for a further hour without the lid, stirring occasionally. The meat should then be very tender and broken down into its fibers.150 ml dry white wine
- Then bring a large pan with plenty of salted water to the boil and cook the ziti al dente according to the instructions on the packet.400 g ziti
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Add some of the meat sauce and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Divide the pasta into portions on deep plates, add a ladleful of sauce to each and serve immediately.Buon appetito!