A Sicilian version of pizza
The delicious pizza version from Sicily!
Amount 1 pizza
- 700 g peeled tomatoes
- 50 g water
- 100 g caciocavallo cheese
- 70 g pecorino cheese
- 1 onion
- 20 g breadcrumbs
- 40 g olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 g anchovy fillets in oil
- First add the flour, malt and dry yeast to the bowl of the stand mixer. Run on medium speed with the dough hook, slowly pouring in the lukewarm water. Let the dough knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Then add the olive oil and continue kneading until the dough has absorbed all the oil. Finally, add the salt and knead for a few more minutes.
- Now transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape into a smooth ball with your hands. Then place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 3 hours at room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping. To do this, first peel the onion and cut it into fine slices. Heat a large pan with half of the olive oil and sauté the onion rings in it over low heat until translucent. Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the peeled tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Then remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cut the caciocavallo cheese into cubes and set aside. Toast the breadcrumbs in a pan with the remaining olive oil, stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat.
- Once the dough has risen, prepare a baking tray and brush generously with olive oil. Now put the dough on the tray and carefully spread over the entire surface with your fingers. Now put it in the turned off oven and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray and preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C top/bottom heat.
- Spread the diced caciocavallo, grated pecorino and the drained anchovy fillets on the dough. Now pour the tomato sauce on top and spread evenly with a spoon. Finally, sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs and oregano.
- Now put the sfincione in the oven for about 50 minutes to bake and then serve immediately and enjoy!Buon appetito!
Calories: 591kcal (30%)Carbohydrates: 74g (25%)Protein: 20g (40%)Fat: 24g (37%)Saturated fatty acids: 7g (35%)Cholesterol: 28mg (9%)
What did you think of my Sfincione recipe? Here are a few more delicious pizza ideas….
Recommendation for Sfincione
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- 10-speed slide control ranges from a very fast whip to a very slow stir
- Includes Flat Beater, Dough Hook and Wire Whip
- Power Hub for Additional Attachments,Volts- 120
- Unique Mixing Action. Hub cover – non-hinged
- Assembled with Pride in Greenville, Ohio
- Choose from all the color options to find the one that best matches your style and personality.
- The power hub turns your stand mixer into a culinary center with more than 15 optional attachments available.