A Sicilian version of pizza
- 500 g pastry flour (soft / patent)
- 330 ml water lukewarm
- 4 g dry yeast
- 5 g malt
- 45 g olive oil extra virgin
- 10 g salt
- First add the flour, malt and dry yeast to the bowl of the stand mixer. Run on medium speed with the dough hook, slowly pouring in the lukewarm water. Let the dough knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Then add the olive oil and continue kneading until the dough has absorbed all the oil. Finally, add the salt and knead for a few more minutes.
- Now transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape into a smooth ball with your hands. Then place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 3 hours at room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping. To do this, first peel the onion and cut it into fine slices. Heat a large pan with half of the olive oil and sauté the onion rings in it over low heat until translucent. Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the peeled tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Then remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cut the caciocavallo cheese into cubes and set aside. Toast the breadcrumbs in a pan with the remaining olive oil, stirring constantly. Then remove from the heat.
- Once the dough has risen, prepare a baking tray and brush generously with olive oil. Now put the dough on the tray and carefully spread over the entire surface with your fingers. Now put it in the turned off oven and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray and preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C top/bottom heat.
- Spread the diced caciocavallo, grated pecorino and the drained anchovy fillets on the dough. Now pour the tomato sauce on top and spread evenly with a spoon. Finally, sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs and oregano.
- Now put the sfincione in the oven for about 50 minutes to bake and then serve immediately and enjoy!Buon appetito!
What did you think of the Sfincione recipe? Here are a few more delicious recipes….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the Sfincione?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.