The popular cake from Italy that everyone should have tried once!
Amount 1 cake
Shortcrust pastry (for a 11in/26cm Ø tart pan)
- 450 g flour
- 200 g butter soft
- 150 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- lemon zest
- 750 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 200 g sugar
- 35 g cornstarch
- 30 g flour
- lemon peel
- 25 g pine nuts
- powdered sugar to taste
- Put the flour, sugar, eggs, softened butter and some lemon zest in the mixing bowl of the stand mixer and mix thoroughly with the dough hook. Then remove, knead firmly with your hands and form a loaf.
- Then wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden.
- After the cooling time, divide the dough into two equal halves and roll out both. Prepare a 11in/26cm Ø tart pan, grease with butter and sprinkle the entire surface with a little breadcrumbs. Lay out the shortcrust pastry on the tart pan and cover the bottom and edges by carefully pressing with your fingers. Prick the pastry several times with a fork. Cut off the excess shortcrust pastry.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C) top/bottom heat.
- Pour the milk into a pot. Remove the lemon peel with a peeler from an lemon. Make sure that the white bitter part remains on the lemon. Now add the peel to the milk and heat over low heat.
- Now put the egg yolk and the remaining eggs in a bowl and add the sugar. Mix thoroughly with a whisk. Then add the cornstarch and flour and mix well.
- Remove the lemon zest from the milk and add the egg mixture. Whisk continuously until the sauce is creamy and thick. Then let cool to room temperature.
- Then spread the cooled cream evenly over the shortbread and smooth it out with a pastry scraper.
- Then cover with the second short pastry and remove the excess edge. Prick the pastry lid several times with a fork and spread the pine nuts on top.
- Now put the cake in the oven for 50 minutes. Then increase the temperature to 360°F (180°C) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes before serving and sprinkle with powdered sugar to taste.Buon appetito!
Calories: 556kcal (28%)Carbohydrates: 77g (26%)Protein: 11g (22%)Fat: 23g (35%)Saturated fatty acids: 13g (65%)Trans fatty acids: 1gCholesterol: 152mg (51%)
Did you like my torta della nonna? Here are some more beautiful cakes for you…
Recommendation for the torta della nonna
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- 10-speed slide control ranges from a very fast whip to a very slow stir
- Includes Flat Beater, Dough Hook and Wire Whip
- Power Hub for Additional Attachments,Volts- 120
- Unique Mixing Action. Hub cover – non-hinged
- Assembled with Pride in Greenville, Ohio
- Choose from all the color options to find the one that best matches your style and personality.
- The power hub turns your stand mixer into a culinary center with more than 15 optional attachments available.