This post is also available in: Deutsch English
Deep fried stuffed Italian pockets
Deep fried stuffed pockets of dough with cheese and tomatoes!
- 250 g wheat flour
- 250 g flour 00 (pizza flour)
- 300 ml water lukewarm
- 8 g fresh yeast
- 8 g olive oil extra virgin
- 10 g salt
- 5 g sugar
- 250 g mozzarella cheese or
- 250 g fior di latte cheese
- 200 g strained tomatoes
- olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste
- oregano to taste
- sunflower oil
- Add the yeast to the lukewarm water and dissolve. Put the wheat flour, 00 flour, sugar and salt in the mixing bowl of the stand mixer and knead with the dough hook on the lowest speed.
- Gradually add the yeast water. Then add the oil as well. Let the dough knead for at least 7 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Once the dough has a nice smooth surface and there are no more dough residues hanging on the mixing bowl, turn off the machine. Remove the dough from the hook and divide into 10 equal pieces. Then shape each into a small ball and place on a floured large tray. Leave enough space between the balls. Cover with a cloth and let rest for at least 90 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. For this, drain the mozzarella and cut into small cubes.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a small sauce pan and add the strained tomatoes. Season with salt and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Then put in a bowl, season with dried oregano, mix well and let cool.
- After the dough has rested, place a ball on a floured work surface and roll out round with a rolling pin. The dough should be about 2mm thick.
- Now put some tomato sauce in the middle and cover with the mozzarella. Make sure that enough edge remains free. Now fold the circle into a half moon like a calzone and carefully close the edge by pressing lightly.
- Proceed in the same way for the remaining panzerotti.
- Take a large pot and heat plenty of sunflower oil to about 340°F/170°C. Now deep-fry the pockets one after the other until they get an even golden brown color. Turn them several times. Then transfer them to an absorbent paper and let them drain.
- Now the filled hot pockets are ready to serve and enjoy.Buon appetito!
Calories: 276kcal (14%)Carbohydrates: 41g (14%)Protein: 11g (22%)Fat: 7g (11%)Saturated fatty acids: 3g (15%)Cholesterol: 20mg (7%)
Do you like panzerotti? Here are a few more delicious recipes….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the Panzerotti?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.