This post is also available in: Deutsch English
The original Bolognese sauce from Italy
Ragù is derived from the French word ragoût, which was adopted in the Emilia-Romagna region at the time of the Renaissance, initially as a name for a stew. Since the 19th century, ragù, made on the basis of minced meat, has been an accompaniment to pasta, with which it is usually mixed before serving. The official registration for the classic recipe of ragù alla bolognese was made in October 1982 by the Accademia Italiana della Cucina.
- 250 g ground pork
- 250 g ground beef
- 400 g strained tomatoes
- 50 g carrots
- 100 g onion
- 50 g celery
- 50 ml milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 1.5 l water
- Peel the celery, carrots and onions and cut them into small pieces.50 g carrots, 100 g onion, 50 g celery
- Heat the olive oil in a high frying pan or pot and add the chopped vegetables. Saute everything over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add the ground pork and beef and also brown slowly for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.250 g ground pork, 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, 250 g ground beef
- Once all the meat juices have boiled away, deglaze with the white wine and allow to reduce briefly. Then add the strained tomatoes, a pinch of salt and a third of the water. Stir well and cook over medium heat for an hour without a lid.125 ml dry white wine, 400 g strained tomatoes
- After the first hour, add the second third of the water, stir and simmer for another hour. At the end of the second hour, add the last third of the water and cook on low heat for another hour.
- Finally, add the milk, season with salt and pepper and mix everything thoroughly.50 ml milk
If you like ragu alla bolognese, you may also like these recipes
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.