This post is also available in: Deutsch English Italiano
Crostata al cioccolato
This delicious chocolate tart is a delectable dessert from Italy that consists of a crispy shortbread base and a rich chocolate filling. The combination of buttery pastry and chocolatey filling makes this tart a perfect ending to any Italian menu or a sweet treat for in between meals. Crostata al Cioccolato is very popular in Italy and is often shared by families and friends on special occasions.
- First, put the flour, sugar, beaten egg yolk, small cubes of butter, a pinch of salt and vanilla sugar into the mixing bowl of the stand mixer and mix thoroughly with the dough hook. Then remove and knead with your hands into a compact ball. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for one hour.250 g pastry flour, 150 g butter, 60 g sugar, 3 egg yolk, 1 pinch salt, 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- In the meantime, finely chop the dark chocolate.150 g dark chocolate
- Then put the sugar and potato starch in a small cooking pot and mix. Now gradually pour in the milk over low heat. While whisking, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.100 g sugar, 35 g potato starch, 500 ml milk
- As soon as the mixture begins to thicken, add the chopped dark chocolate and stir in thoroughly. Now also add the butter and continue to stir until everything is thoroughly mixed and the mixture is lump-free. Then remove from heat and allow to cool.40 g butter
Finish the tart
- After the cooling time, roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Prepare a 24cm/9in Ø tart pan, grease with butter and lightly flour. Spread the shortcrust dough evenly over the bottom, forming a rim of about 1cm/½in high on the baking pan and pressing it down well. Prick the dough several times with a fork. Cut off the excess shortcrust pastry and keep for decoration.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C/330°F top/bottom heat.
- Now spread the previously prepared chocolate cream evenly over the shortbread and smooth it with a pastry scraper.
- Then roll out the remaining short pastry in a circle and cut out strips about 1cm/½in wide. With it then lay out a uniform diamond pattern on the cream.
- Now put the cake in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool briefly before serving and sprinkle with powdered sugar to taste.Buon appetito!
Did you like the chocolate tart? Here are some more nice recipes for you…
Looking for original Italian ingredients?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.