A typical bread from Sicily
This delicacy from Sicily is a traditional Italian bread, which takes its name from the shape of the strips of dough, reminiscent of the wide pasta of the same name. It is made from the basic ingredients of durum wheat semolina, water, salt and yeast and is known for its crispy crust and soft interior. The bread is ubiquitous in Sicilian cuisine and is often served as a side dish with meals or simply enjoyed as a snack between meals. Its unique texture and mild flavor make the Sicilian Mafalda a culinary highlight and an essential element of Italian cuisine.
- First, add the fresh yeast to the lukewarm water and mix thoroughly until all the yeast is dissolved. Then add the honey and mix well again.300 ml water, 10 g fresh yeast, 1 tsp honey
- Now pour the prepared yeast water into the mixing bowl of the stand mixer and add the sugar. Now equip the machine with the dough hook, run on low speed and let the olive oil trickle in.15 g sugar, 35 ml olive oil extra virgin
- Now gradually add the milled durum wheat semolina and let the dough knead for 10 minutes.500 g durum wheat semolina
- Then add the salt and knead in the machine for another 5 minutes until a compact and elastic dough is formed.15 g salt
- Then place this on a work surface floured with semolina and fold a few times from the outside inward to give the dough more firmness.
- Then shape the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a cloth and let rest at room temperature for about 3 hours.
- After the resting time, place again on the work surface and cut out dough pieces of about 200g/7oz each.
- Now spread each piece out into a flat oblong rectangle.
- Then roll up from the short side.
- Then cover with plastic wrap or a cloth and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Subsequently, each roll of dough is rolled again until an elongated dough string is formed.
- Now the cord is used to form the typical snake shape by laying them together in an s-shape.
- The end of the string is then placed centrally from the bottom of the snake to the head and lightly pressed.
- Now place the formed mafalde on a baking tray covered with baking paper and let them rise for another hour in the switched-off oven. Then remove from the oven and heat up to 180°C/360°F.
- In the meantime, brush the mafalde with a little water and sprinkle with sesame seeds to taste.sesame
- Once the oven has reached the required temperature, place a small container of water on the bottom of the oven. Now bake the mafalde for about 40 minutes on the middle rack until golden brown.
- Finally, remove and let cool briefly. The delicious Sicilian bread is now ready to be served.Buon appetito!
If you like Sicilian Mafalda, you might also like these beautiful recipes
Do you need original ingredients for the Sicilian Mafalda?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.