This post is also available in: Deutsch English
Zuppa di vongole
A delicious Mediterranean soup with delicious seafood!
- 1 kg clams
- 1 kg mussels
- 250 g shrimps
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 3 spring onions
- 30 g celery
- 60 g carrots
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml water
- 4 g coarse sea salt
- 8 pieces peppercorns
- parsley to taste
- chives to taste
- salt to taste
- First remove damaged and empty mussels. Gently tap the remaining mussels against a cutting board. The clean mussels remain closed, while the sand-filled mussels open. Place the clean mussels in a colander, rinse thoroughly and drain.
- If necessary, remove the shell and head from the shrimps, wash them and remove the black intestines.
- Now prepare the vegetable broth. Wash the spring onion and remove the green part and the root. Then cut into fine rings. Peel the celery and carrots and cut them into small pieces. Roughly chop the parsley and the chives. Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot and sauté the cut vegetables in it over medium heat for a few minutes. Then deglaze with ¼ of the white wine. Now add half of the cherry tomatoes and fill up with the water. Add the coarse sea salt and peppercorns and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Heat some olive oil in another large pot and sauté a peeled clove of garlic in it. Add the mussels to the hot pot and deglaze with the remaining white wine. Simmer for a few minutes over high heat with the lid closed.
- The mussels will open with the heat. Once they have all opened, remove the pot from the heat. Now drain the mussels in a colander and collect the juice from the mussels in a bowl below. Separate the meat of the mussels from the shell and place in a bowl. While doing this, check for impurities and clean again if necessary. If desired, save a few shells for the soup as decoration.
- Now remove the seeds from the fresh hot pepper and then cut into rings. Again, add a dash of olive oil to a large pot and sauté the other peeled clove of garlic. Then add the anchovy fillets and the hot pepper rings and sauté briefly. Then add the remaining cherry tomatoes and tomato paste, season with a little salt and cook on low heat until soft.
- Now finely puree the previously prepared vegetable broth with a hand blender. Then press through a fine sieve and collect the clarified broth in a bowl below.
- Now pour the vegetable broth and the previously collected juice from the mussels into the pot with the soft-boiled cherry tomatoes and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Then add the shrimps and simmer for another 10 minutes. Finally, add the mussels, season with salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, pour into deep soup plates, garnish with parsley and clam shells, if desired, and enjoy immediately.Buon appetito!
A fresh ciabatta is recommended as a side dish!
Calories: 350kcal (18%)Carbohydrates: 18g (6%)Protein: 43g (86%)Fat: 7g (11%)Saturated fatty acids: 1g (5%)Cholesterol: 158mg (53%)
Did you like mussel soup? Here are some more nice recipes for you…
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the mussel soup?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.