This post is also available in: Deutsch English
My Italian-German version of spaghetti carbonara with cream sauce
This is a dish that divides opinions. In Italy, most prepare this pasta according to the original recipe. That is, without cream and with Pecorino instead of Parmesan. In fact, some Italians, such as myself, also like to eat their carbonara with cream sauce. Although they would of course never admit this publicly 😉 In Germany, however, the cream version is preferred. Since I come from both worlds, I would like to present you here my own Italian-German carbonara version. I hope you like it 🙂
P.S.: You can find the original spaghetti alla carbonara recipe of my Nonna here.
- 400 g spaghetti
- 150 g guanciale (bacon)
- 200 ml liquid cream
- 40 g parmesan cheese grated (shop here)
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 2 egg yolk
- 1 onion small
- pepper to taste
- olive oil extra virgin
- Bring a pot with plenty of salted water to a boil.
- In the meantime, remove the rind from the guanciale. Then dice the bacon and brown lightly in a large frying pan over medium heat (without oil). Then place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Add a dash of olive oil to the previously used pan and sauté the onions until translucent. Deglaze with white wine and reduce briefly. Add the liquid cream and bring to the boil once.
- Now add the spaghetti to the boiling salted water and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, pour the entire contents of the pan into the cup of the hand blender and puree thoroughly until a creamy and lump-free sauce is formed. Then pour back into the pan. Add bacon and grated parmesan cheese, season with pepper, mix thoroughly and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat completely.
- Just before the pasta is al dente, add the egg yolk to the sauce and mix thoroughly immediately.
- Skim off one to two ladles of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the finished spaghetti and then add it directly to the pan and mix everything well. If the pasta is a little too dry, you can add a dash of pasta water.
- Finally, arrange on deep plates and serve hot!Buon appetito!
If you like my version of spaghetti carbonara with cream, you might also like these lovely recipes….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the spaghetti carbonara with cream?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.