As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven baked rigatoni bolognese
Mhhhh… the wonderful smell of this pasta rising from the oven always reminds me of my childhood. The whole famiglia sitting at Nonna’s richly set table and in the middle a huge casserole dish with the rigatoni swimming in delicious sauce, topped with golden brown mozzarella – heavenly! I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I do 🙂
A little tip in advance: To save time for the elaborate Bolognese sauce, I always have a few portions of it on hand in the freezer. Just add it to the other ingredients – done!
- 400 g rigatoni
- 200 g mozzarella cheese
Main ingredients cream sauce
- Peel the celery, carrots and onions and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a high pan or pot and add the chopped vegetables. Saute over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add the ground pork and beef and brown slowly for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Once all the meat juices have boiled away, deglaze with the white wine and allow to reduce briefly. Then add the strained tomatoes, a pinch of salt and a third of the water. Stir well and cook over medium heat for an hour.
- After the first hour, add the second third of the water, stir and simmer for another hour. At the end of the second hour, add the last third of the water and cook on low heat for another hour. Then add a little salt and pepper, as well as the milk.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the rigatoni until just al dente. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F convection.
- In the meantime, cut the onion and the guanciale or cooked ham into small cubes. Clean the mushrooms and cut them into strips. Lightly heat a small pan with a dash of olive oil and sauté the onion and bacon. Add the mushrooms and simmer until the liquid that comes out is almost evaporated.
- Now add the Bolognese sauce, the peas and the liquid cream. Mix everything thoroughly and boil for a few minutes.
- Prepare a small baking dish per person and cover the bottom with the sauce. Then spread the finished rigatoni evenly in it and pour sauce generously over it to make it nice and juicy. Mix the pasta and sauce in the dish. If necessary, add more sauce until the rigatoni are nicely covered. Finally, top with sliced or grated mozzarella and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once the cheese has taken on a light brown color, remove, let cool briefly and then serve.Buon appetito!
Well, have you tried Nonna’s Rigatoni al forno? Or are you looking for more delicious recipes?
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the rigatoni al forno?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.