Fiori di zucchine in pastella con mozzarella
Deep fried zucchini flowers with mozzarella are a delicious appetizer from Italian cuisine. In this dish, the tender and extremely aromatic flowers of zucchini are filled with the finest mozzarella, deep-fried in the pastry shell and then served hot.
The combination of the crispy texture of the pastry shell, the creamy filling of slightly melted mozzarella and the delicate flavor of the zucchini flowers makes this dish an extravagant experience. The preparation of the fried zucchini flowers requires a little skill, as the zucchini flowers are very delicate and tear easily. But don’t worry, with a little practice and dexterity it works out quite easily. Anyway, the result will reward you for your efforts.
Are you ready to enjoy this refined dish at home like in bella Italia? Perfetto, let’s prepare delicious fried zucchini flowers with mozzarella…
- 16 zucchini flowers
- 250 g mozzarella cheese (2 balls)
- 270 g all purpose flour (plain / white)
- 375 g water sparkling (very cold)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt to taste
- sunflower oil for frying
- First, prepare the zucchini flowers. To do this, carefully pluck off the outer stems at the ovary of each flower.16 zucchini flowers
- Then gently open the flower and remove the inner pistil of the flower. This works best with tweezers.
- Then wash under running water (light stream) and pat very well with a clean, dry cloth or paper towel. Then set aside.
- Drain the mozzarella balls and cut each into eighths to get 16 equally sized oblong pieces. Make sure that the pieces are not longer than the flower. Shorten the mozzarella a bit here if necessary. Thoroughly pat all pieces dry.250 g mozzarella cheese
- Now fill each flower with a piece of mozzarella and seal by gently rolling up the ends of the flower petals. Then set aside.
- Sift the wheat flour into a large bowl and add the baking powder. Now slowly pour in the very cold sparkling water, whisking vigorously until a lump-free homogeneous mass is formed.270 g all purpose flour, 375 g water, 1 tsp baking powder
- Next, place enough sunflower oil in a high saucepan and heat to approx. 170°C/340°F. Once the oil is hot enough, dip the stuffed zucchini flowers one by one into the batter so that the stuffed flower is completely covered. Then place in the boiling oil for about 2 minutes to deep fry.
- Fry only a few pieces at a time so that the oil temperature does not drop too much. Once the batter has a nice browning, remove with a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and drain briefly. Keep the already fried zucchini flowers warm until all the others are fried.
- Finally, salt to taste and serve immediately hot and juicy.Buon appetito!
Did you like the recipe for fried zucchini flowers? Here are some more delicious recipes for you…
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.