Involtini di melanzane
Delicious little rolls with mozzarella – perfect as an appetizer and side dish
Amount 4 servings
- 2 eggplants
- 375 g mozzarella cheese
- 400 g strained tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- olive oil extra virgin
- basil to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- coarse sea salt
- Heat some olive oil in a deep frying pan. Peel the garlic, chop finely and sauté lightly in the olive oil. Then deglaze with the strained tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash the eggplants and remove the stems. Using a vegetable slicer, cut them into oblong slices about 5mm/0.2in thick. Then place the slices in a colander and sprinkle each with coarse sea salt. Weigh down with a plate and let drain for about 1 hour. This will remove the bitter water from the eggplant. After resting, wash the salt off the eggplant slices and pat dry with paper towels.
- Then heat sunflower oil in a large frying pan until the oil thermometer shows about 170°C/340°F. Now deep-fry a few eggplant slices at a time in the hot oil until they get a light brown color. Then drain on a large plate with kitchen paper.
- Once the tomato sauce has simmered long enough, take some basil, chop finely, add and stir. Then remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Drain the mozzarella and cut into thin slices.
- Now fill the fried eggplant slices with a slice of mozzarella each, season with a little salt and pepper, roll up and arrange on a large plate or serving platter. Now drizzle all the rolls with the tomato sauce, garnish with a leaf of basil and enjoy immediately.Buon appetito!
Calories: 377kcal (19%)Carbohydrates: 25g (8%)Protein: 25g (50%)Fat: 22g (34%)Saturated fatty acids: 12g (60%)Cholesterol: 74mg (25%)