Gnocchi al formaggio dell’Alto Adige
Anyone who has ever been in the beautiful mountains of South Tyrol and made a stop at one of the rustic alpine huts, has certainly stumbled across this classic dish, or even tried it. Now I’ll show you how you can easily prepare the heavenly smelling dumplings at home.
- Put the cubed stale bread in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs and put them in a small bowl. Now add milk and salt and whisk thoroughly. Then pour over the bread cubes, mix with a wooden spoon and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- After resting, slice the mountain cheese into fine strips and add to the dumpling mixture together with the flour. Mix everything thoroughly with wet hands until a compact mass is formed.
- Wet your hands again, take a handful of dumpling mixture at a time, form into small dumplings and set aside.
- Once the water has reached boiling point, reduce the heat and let the dumplings steep (not boil) in the water for about 18 minutes. Carefully turn the dumplings several times.
- Meanwhile, place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat.
- Once the cheese dumplings are ready, transfer with a slotted spoon to deep plates. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of melted butter over them. Sprinkle with pepper and freshly grated Parmesan to taste and garnish with chopped chives.Buon appetito!
We hope you enjoyed the cheese dumplings! Here are some more delicious recipes for you….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the cheese dumplings?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.