This post is also available in: Deutsch English Italiano
The rolled pizza
This recipe was created in the 1950s in Philadelphia, America, and since then it has become widespread and very popular in the States. However, the way of preparation was known earlier in some regions of Italy, for example, the classic Sicilian scaccia.
An American version of pizza with Italian roots!
- 200 g wheat flour (pastry flour/type 405)
- 270 g flour 00 (Pizza flour)
- 30 g durum wheat semolina
- 300 ml Water lukewarm
- 35 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 10 g Salt
- 5 g fresh yeast
- 300 ml San Marzano tomatoes passed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 300 g mozzarella cheese
- 50 g Salami finely sliced
- 50 g cooked ham
- Add the yeast to the lukewarm water and dissolve. Put the wheat flour, 00 flour, durum wheat semolina and salt in the mixing bowl of the food processor and let knead with the dough hook on the lowest speed.
- Gradually add the yeast water. Then add the oil as well. Let the dough knead for at least 7 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Once the dough has a nice smooth surface and there are no more dough scraps hanging from the mixing bowl, turn off the machine. Release the dough from the hook, shape it into a ball and return it to the bowl. Cover with a cloth and let rest for at least 2 hours.
- Tip: The longer the dough can rest, the better it will be! It is best to prepare the pizza dough a day in advance and then let it rest in the refrigerator, covered with a cloth. Then take the dough out about 3 hours before preparation and let it rest covered at room temperature.
- After resting, transfer the dough to a floured work surface, divide into pieces of about 250g and form each into balls. Cover everything again with a cloth and let rest for another 30 minutes.
- Put the strained tomatoes, salt, pepper, olive oil and oregano in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) top/bottom heat.
- Fray the mozzarella into small pieces with your hands or cut into slices.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to a rectangle of approx. 50 x 45cm. Pour the tomato sauce on top and spread evenly. Leave about 2cm of the edge free. Cover generously with mozzarella. Then spread the finely sliced salami and ham on top. Brush the edges with a little water so that the roll is later well sealed.
- Now carefully roll up the dough from the longer side, close the ends well. Then form the pizza roll into a large "U" and transfer it to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush the surface with a little olive oil.
- Then bake for approx. 1 hour at 180°C (350°F) top/bottom heat on the lowest rack.
- After baking, remove the pizza from the oven, cut into slices, sprinkle with a little chopped basil and enjoy immediately hot.Buon appetito!
You can fill this pizza variation as you like. Try it with tasty anchovies, capers and olives!
Calories: 840kcal (42%)Carbohydrates: 101g (34%)Protein: 36g (72%)Fat: 32g (49%)Saturated fatty acids: 13g (65%)Cholesterol: 75mg (25%)
Do you like the Stromboli Pizza? Here are a few more delicious recipes….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the Stromboli pizza?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.