As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sailor style pizza
Pizza Marinara is a classic of Italian cuisine and one of the simplest versions of pizza. The name “marinara” means “sailor style” and indicates that it was usually enjoyed by fishermen and sailors who could prepare it on board with simple ingredients. Pizza marinara has a tomato sauce as its base, seasoned with garlic, oregano, olive oil and salt. The combination of simple but high quality ingredients creates a wonderful taste that reflects the soul of Italian cuisine.
- 500 g San Marzano tomatoes passed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Add the yeast to the lukewarm water and dissolve. Put the flour, durum wheat semolina and salt in the mixing bowl of the stand mixer and let knead with the dough hook on the lowest speed.
- Gradually add the yeast water. Then add the oil as well. Let the dough knead for at least 7 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Once the dough has a nice smooth surface and there are no more dough scraps hanging from the mixing bowl, turn off the machine. Release the dough from the hook, shape it into a ball and return it to the bowl. Cover with a cloth and let rest for at least 2 hours.
- Tip: The longer the dough can rest, the better it will be! It is best to prepare the pizza dough a day in advance and then let it rest in the refrigerator, covered with a cloth. Then take the dough out about 3 hours before preparation and let it rest covered at room temperature.
- After resting, transfer the dough to a floured work surface, divide into 4 pieces and form each into balls. Cover everything again with a cloth and let rest for another 30 minutes.
- Put the passed tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C (500°F) top/bottom heat.
- Peel the garlic and chop it into small pieces.
- Pour some of the tomato sauce on the pizza dough and top with the garlic.
- Then bake for about 10 minutes at 250°C (500°F) top/bottom heat on the lowest rack. Finally, garnish with the fresh basil leaves, drizzle with olive oil and serve hot.Buon appetito!
If you liked the Marinara Pizza, you might also like these recipes….
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.