This post is also available in: English Deutsch
Parmigiana di patate
How about a nice change from the well-known potato gratin? Maybe with an Italian touch? Then this is just the thing for you and your loved ones! We spice up the gratin with beautiful provolone cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano and lovely Prosciutto Cotto! And thanks to a lovely bechamel and melting cheese in the middle, it’s going to be so really moist and creamy! Find the biggest casserole dish you can…. here we go!
- 1 kg potatoes
- 150 g cooked ham
- 50 g provolone cheese (shop here)
- 50 g parmesan cheese (shop here)
- 500 ml milk
- 30 g wheat flour
- 50 g butter
- nutmeg to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- First, heat the milk in a saucepan. In a frying pan, melt the butter over low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and add the flour. Stir vigorously with a whisk to obtain a lump-free mixture.
- Put the pan back on the stove and brown everything slightly. When the milk is hot, add a little grated nutmeg and a pinch of salt to taste. Then add to the butter-flour mixture and stir vigorously with a whisk to thicken over low heat. The mixture must be homogeneous and free of lumps. Cook the bechamel sauce over low heat for about 5-6 minutes until creamy. Then pour into a bowl and let cool.
- Peel the potatoes and wash them thoroughly. Then cut with a vegetable slicer into thin slices. Cut the provolone cheese into slices of the same thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F top/bottom heat.
- Now it's time for layering: Take a large baking dish and cover the bottom evenly with some béchamel. Spread half of the potato slices on top. Season with salt and pepper and add another layer of béchamel on top.
- Now comes a layer with the slices of provolone. Also use half of the cheese.
- On top of this is laid half of the slices of ham. Finally, this layer is again covered with béchamel and sprinkled with a little grated parmesan.
- Now spread the remaining potato slices. Again cover with béchamel and then spread the remaining ham on top.
- Pour the remaining béchamel on top and add the last slices of provolone. As the last layer, finish with the grated parmesan.
- Now bake the parmigiana for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Allow to cool briefly before serving.Buon appetito!
Did you like the potato parmigiana? Here are some more delicious ideas for you…
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the potato parmigiana?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.