As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Melanzane al forno
- 500 g eggplant
- 2 pieces beefsteak tomatos
- 70 g pastry flour (soft / patent)
- 50 g pecorino cheese grated
- chili pepper
- coarse sea salt
- sunflower oil
- Wash the eggplant and remove the stalks. Cut oblong slices about 1cm thick with a vegetable slicer. Then place the slices in a mesh strainer and sprinkle each with a little coarse sea salt. Weigh them down with a plate and let them drain for about 1 hour. This will remove the bitter water from the eggplant. After the resting time, wash the salt from the eggplant slices, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Now turn the slices in flour and gently shake off the excess flour. Heat sunflower oil in a large frying pan until the oil thermometer shows about 170°C (340°F). Fry a few floured eggplant slices at a time in the hot oil until lightly browned. Then briefly drain on a large plate with paper towels.
- Arrange the eggplants side by side on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Cut the tomatoes into fine rings and place each on a slice of eggplant. Season with chili and salt to taste and sprinkle with grated pecorino.
- Finally, place in the preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) top/bottom heat and bake for 10 minutes. Then remove and serve hot.Buon appetito!
I hope you enjoyed the roasted eggplant! Here are some more delicious recipes for you…
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the roasted eggplant?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.