As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
A crispy Italian snack from Piedmont
Grissini are long, thin, crispy breadsticks from Italy that are perfect as a snack or side dish. They are easy to prepare and can be enhanced with various spices and herbs. In this recipe, you’ll learn how to easily make grissini yourself and what ingredients you’ll need. With this recipe you can delight your guests or just enjoy a delicious snack for in between. Shall we get started right away and prepare the delicious snack sticks?
- First add yeast and malt to the lukewarm water and dissolve. Pour the flour and salt into the stand mixer and knead with the dough hook on the lowest setting.
- Gradually add the yeast water. Then add the oil as well. Let the dough knead for at least 7 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Then transfer the dough to a work surface sprinkled with durum wheat semolina and roll out into an oblong rectangle. Now brush the surface with a little olive oil and sprinkle with durum wheat semolina.
- Now let the dough rest for about 1 hour until it has doubled in volume.
- After resting, cut strips about 0.4in (1cm) wide from the short side of the dough with a sharp large knife. Then carefully pull the strips to the desired length and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Make sure that there is enough space between the grissini.
- Now place the baking sheet in the oven for approx. 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C) top/bottom heat. As soon as the sticks are lightly browned, remove them and let them cool.Buon appetito!
Do you like the grissini? Here are a few more delicious recipes….
Looking for original Italian ingredients for the grissini?
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you are a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the right place for you. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics products made by Italian craftsmen and manufacturers. In each product you will find the peculiarities of Italian production.