This post is also available in: Deutsch English Italiano
Pane contadino dell’Alto Adige
Today we want to bake a delicious traditional bread that comes from South Tyrol, a region in the north of Italy. It has been baked by peasant families for centuries and has a long history and cultural importance in the region. The bread is characterized by its rustic character and is made from simple, natural ingredients grown in the region. It is an important element of South Tyrolean cuisine and is often served with regional specialties such as bacon, cheese and wine. Today, South Tyrolean farmhouse bread is produced in many bakeries in South Tyrol and beyond.
- 200 g white spelt flour
- 200 g bread flour
- 150 g white rye flour
- 300 ml water lukewarm
- 4 g fresh yeast
- 10 g salt
- 10 ml apple vinegar
- 5 g honey
- 2 tbsp bread spice
- Crush the yeast and dissolve it with the honey in the lukewarm water.300 ml water, 4 g fresh yeast, 5 g honey
- Put the spelt, wheat and rye flours in the mixing bowl of the stand mixer. Equip the machine with the dough hook and start on low speed.200 g white spelt flour, 200 g bread flour, 150 g white rye flour
- Now also add the apple vinegar, salt and bread spice.10 g salt, 10 ml apple vinegar, 2 tbsp bread spice
- Then gradually pour in the previously prepared yeast mixture. Then knead thoroughly for about 15 minutes.
- Then take out the dough and fold it a few times. Form into a ball, put in a bowl and cover with foil or a cloth. Then leave to rest in a warm place for 6 hours.
- After resting, transfer the dough to a floured surface, fold it again and form it into a ball again. Dust the proofing basket with enough flour and place the dough inside. Cover with a tea towel and let rise at room temperature for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C / 450 ° F top/bottom heat including the cast iron dutch oven.
- Once the oven reaches temperature, turn the dough into the cast iron dutch oven. Then cut the dough deeply with a sharp knife. This will allow the air to escape during baking and prevent cracks in the crust. Put the lid on the pot and bake the bread for 20 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to 220 °C / 430 ° F, remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes until a nice brown and crispy crust is formed. Remove from the oven, cool on a rack and enjoy fresh.Buon appetito!
Did you like the South Tyrolean farmhouse bread? Here are a few more delicious recipes for you…
ItalianStyleCooking Shopping Tip
If you’re a big fan of Italy and are looking for original Italian goods, Made in Italy from Amazon is the place to be. Browse to your heart’s content for food, furniture and home accessories, clothing and cosmetics made by Italian artisans and manufacturers. In each product you can recognize the peculiarities of Italian production.